Friday, June 10, 2016

Allie Ontiveros

Allie Ontiveros





To Allie, 
The camera was a member of the family.
She'd film herself watching TV,
With our cat named Freddy.
Sometimes she'd leave the room with the record button on,
Minutes of video taping while she was gone. 
We'd film our own commercials and pageant shows,
Or "Behind the Music" with celebs like Fat Joe.
She was a ham for the camera,
And a little bit cheesy. 
That's how she likes her sandwiches 'cause they were so easy.
And Hot chocolate:
She's chock-full of it.
You'll never meet a skinnier chick on her diet.
Occasionally she'd watch an exercise video,
But from the couch, all while eating Cheetos.
She's always been afraid of the wind,
Scared to blow away,
With that skinny frame,
A light breeze would make her sway.
Against these odds,
She's made her home the Windy City.
She's too locked down to roam,
'Cause now she's got a kitty.
Allie Cat has a way with four-legged friends.
I sorta think she prefers felines over men.
But she's got a big heart, it's bursting out of her chest;
I know her future partner will never be stressed,
'Cause I feel blessed,
Whenever she's around.
When I'm a mess, 
She always calms me down.
And on the nights the O's are all together,
She mediates the brawls and makes us remember
That nothing really matters and to be kind.
Sometimes she sits back; I wonder what's on her mind. 
Let's rewind to the 90's like she rewound the VCRs,
The days of N64 and driving the Barbie car.
"I'm tired," she says. "Will you carry me?"
But she hasn't been the baby of the fam since she was three.
Our mom used to give us clothes to look good,
But she'd rather chill in a plush robe with a hood.
And what does she need to get dressed up for?
Aside from going to shows, she rarely makes it out the door.
I'm sure,
She doesn't know what FOMO is.
She could sleep all day, just mindin her own biz.
She'll watch the same movie 15 times.
"Dunstin Checks In"... she can recite all the lines.
Her life moves in circles just like her hoop.
I remember when we used to work out at Group-
O. 
That summer, I took her to her first festival. 
Now she's caught in that net just like a basketball.
Al, how does D-Rose look from court-side seats?
This lucky girl watches the Bulls from their feet.
A red-headed princess like Ariel,
A ginger flower-child at the festivals.
My little sis, my forever friend,
Will become a cat lady in the end. 
Love you Al, thanks for all the laughs,
And for coming to see me in the world's other half.

No comments:

Post a Comment